Page Buttons

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Calling All Scrap Lovers! An Improv Piecing Tutorial

When I blogged about my scrappy improv blocks, I had several people mention that they were afraid to try it with their own scraps, since there really isn't a true plan for sewing.  It does take some time to get used to sewing with reckless abandon in an improv style, but I thought that a few guidelines might help some of you take the plunge.  Once you get the hang of it, this method of sewing is so much fun, and it's a great way to use whatever fabric you happen to have.



The first thing you need to decide is how big you want your blocks to be.  I use a 12.5 inch square ruler, and I find it makes things much easier.  If you would rather use a regular quilting ruler, that's fine too!

Get all of your fabric ready and divided in whatever way works for you.  I have my scrap baskets divided into cool, warm, and neutrals.  I also don't distinguish between scraps and strings.  They all go in together, and you'll love using both with improv piecing.

Start by sewing two pieces of fabric together.  It's helpful if the sides you're sewing are similar in length, but not necessary.  When you're finished sewing, just take your scissors and trim the excess.




Add another piece to any side you choose.  I always try not to sew around the first piece in a regular way, so that it doesn't end up looking too much like a log cabin block.



If you don't come across a piece that is long enough to cover the side, or if you just want some variety, piece a couple of scraps together to make them long enough.  As your sides get longer, you will have to piece smaller scraps to get enough length.  Try to avoid sewing too many long strips on the sides or your block might end up looking like a log cabin instead of an improv block.



I don't press my block until the end when I'm sewing like this, but you can if you choose.  Continue adding to your sides until you have a block that is about 3-4 inches bigger than your square template.



I know you're wondering why you are making blocks that are too big, but just trust me.  The part that will make your blocks really special is coming up.


Give your block a press and take it to your cutting mat.  Line up your template along one edge of your block.  Check our those extra side strips!  Cut them off with care and don't throw them away.  You'll need them later!



I know when I look at quilts that are improv pieced I'm always impressed by the tiny little strips and fabric bits that seem so perfectly placed within the blocks.  Well, you can get those neat little pieces without actually sewing teeny tiny pieces.  We're going to use those fabulous little trimmed strips in your next blocks!  One or two of those strips can really add a lot of interest to a block full of bigger pieces.

If you really get on a roll, you can always make a really big improv block and cut several blocks from it!  This also gives you the freedom to use pieces that are a little bigger, because there is a good chance that they will get cut when you cut your blocks out.





You can do improv piecing with a planned color palette as well!  If you choose to use scraps though, just remember that the beauty of a scrap quilt isn't fully realized until all of the blocks are together.  In my opinion, that's when scrap quilts really show their wow factor!

I really encourage you to try some improv piecing.  Once you get the hang of it, it's a lot of fun, and I think it's really great for getting your creativity and sewjo going!

Editied 8/25 to add- Here's a picture of the finished quilt, just in case you're wondering how it looks when the blocks are all put together!  You can check out the post with more pics of the finished quilt HERE!




64 comments:

  1. A nice and friendly intro to improv, Kelly! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post Kelly. I love scrappy quilt improve piecing....it is definitely fun. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much! I'm glad you like the tutorial, and glad you enjoy improv too!

      :) Kelly

      Delete
  3. Thanks a lot for your tutorial. I absolutely have to try :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I may just have to take the plunge and try this one. I don't have a ton of scraps yet since I just got serious about quilting back in March, but I am saving every little shred of fabric. I've tried one improv block and it was really hard not to "Match" the fbrics so much! I will have to bookmark this tute. Thanks for sharing.
    xo jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Improv piecing is great. When I'm ready to go through my stash bins, I'll look back at this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are really great - I have yet to try truly improv piecing, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband's Grandma taught me how to make her "crazy blocks" using up scraps and it is so fun. It is a fairly similar way in which you do yours, but things are more angled and almost rose like looking when finished. I keep a large tote next to my sewing table in which I keep all of my scraps and when it gets to be too overflowing, I start making crazy blocks and as well as some string blocks. It is always fun to lay out the blocks when you are done & audition different sashing fabrics and then watch how the different colors in the blocks pop. I may have to give your tutorial a try for something different. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A wonky log cabin is about as crazy as I've gotten. These are looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this! I've never tried Improv blocks before, but this looks intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tried but my first blocks resulted horrible and ended in the trash !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Scrappy and improv - I am in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! yep! I love totally stress-free, super colorful sewing. It just makes my day! Glad you like it, too!

      :) Kelly

      Delete
  12. I love scrappy piecing like this :) it's so easy to do and pretty much instantly rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great tute! I love using up some scraps :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great tutorial! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely! I've not done it before, but I'm not scared to try it either. Suppose I'll add it to my long list of "one day" projects. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Improv is fun, and the blocks look good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love you improv tutorial. I have boxes (and boxes, and boxes!) of scraps that would be fantastic for this method. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for this! I am the organizer of an Improv Bee and it scares the crap out of me! Not the Bee part, that is super fun, but the Improv stuff - scareeeee! I am so a pattern girl. So I really appreciate your guidance on improv. Right up my alley:) Trying to break out of my quilting box, slowly!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the tutorial, I've been planning to improve piece a knitting needle roll for a friends birthday, I'll have to give this method a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the idea of making the blocks bigger to have some wonderful scrappy strips (or strippy scraps) to integrate into another block!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you so much for this tutorial. I think I'll give this a try! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice post… so clearly explained and shows how the variations possible make this process so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! it's a really fun way to sew. I'm glad you like it!

      :) Kelly

      Delete
  23. I love this and will definitely need to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It looks wonderful! Thanks for the tutorial. I think I'm going to try to do one of these blocks myself and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It looks wonderful! Thanks for the tutorial. I think I'm going to try to do one of these blocks myself and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  26. It looks wonderful! Thanks for the tutorial. I think I'm going to try to do one of these blocks myself and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I like this and I see myself doing this very soon. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks heaps this really gives me the courage to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love it. Thanks for the post and instructions. I'm going to tweet. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I finally finished mine!!! Thanks heaps for the tutorial, check out my blog for the pics of my quilt:
    http://adventurousquilter.blogspot.com/2013/10/a-finish-finally.html

    ReplyDelete
  31. Really great example of improv piecing. I'm going to link with your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Es un quilt muy alegre y libre.
    It's a very happy and free quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This looks like fun and I have so many leftovers to use... time to get started. Thanks for sharing your great idea..

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is one of my most fun projects to make. I like working with all the colors and it is like putting a puzzle together. So when I am stressed out or just want some quick fun to sew I make these blocks, stack them up until I want to make something from them. I make them from scraps as well as fabric I have cut into strips. This is a really great tutorial for this.

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is one of my most fun projects to make. I like working with all the colors and it is like putting a puzzle together. So when I am stressed out or just want some quick fun to sew I make these blocks, stack them up until I want to make something from them. I make them from scraps as well as fabric I have cut into strips. This is a really great tutorial for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I actually work on them in a similar way. I'm so happy you enjoyed the tutorial!

      :) Kelly

      Delete
  36. Thanks so much for this great tutorial! I didn't know this kind of block but I sure will give it a try.
    I love scraps too!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love seeing your scrapy quilt. I'm doing one I'm calling a Crazy Quilt but not following the traditional pattern or any pattern. I'm adding decorative stitches and lace... so far, to keep it the "crazy" theme. You did a great job on yours. I like it plain, too.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Absolutely love your improv method and the quilt is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thank you for the lovely inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thank you for the great tutorial and the wonderful tip to make the blocks bigger so you can get those nifty little strips and blocks that look so intriguing....and difficult!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. I love this quilt! It's beautiful. Thank you for the tutorial. This is definitely a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  42. This is so how I operate when I make my quilts. I love big blocks with bold colors and prints. Your quilt is absolutely to SEW FOR !~!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I made a quilt about 3 years ago, using this freestyle method. It turned out great!! So much fun to have the freedom of creating-as-you-go!! It turned out to be the prettiest quilt I've ever made--I heartily recommend this method. LOVE!

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  44. Found your tutorial on Pinterest. And as it just so happens, I found a wonderful stash of vintage colour fabrics today. Am now so inspired. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  45. Gorgeous quilt! Thank you for this tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  46. I am IN LOVE with scrap quilts such as your gorgeous one-of-a-kind "Serendipity" quilt, Kelly! Alas, I have finished not one quilt yet, although I've been indulging my true hobby of "fabric acquisition pretty much since I quit my corporate soul-sucking job back in 2012. So until I start cutting into those pre-cuts and yardage, I can only dream of the day when I'll be ready to make one. Thanks for the tutorial and inspiration! ~Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please don't wait too long time flies begin your quilt now❤💜💛💚🧡

      Delete
  47. I am so glad I found this, I am trying to get through my massive amounts of scrap fabric and you have saved me from cutting it all up into smaller pieces! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  48. I just tried this and I love it! It took me 6-8hrs to put together a lap quilt top, and it looks great! So nice to have a "pattern" without a pattern to use up my scraps! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're so welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed it. It is my very favorite way to sew!

      :) Kelly

      Delete
  49. Enjoyed your article very much. This is the only way I did quilts when I first started so brought back memories of those days.

    ReplyDelete
  50. How many blocks would you need to make a twin quit? I have a "Is It Square?" tool (10")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twin quilts are about 65-70" x 90" so if your tool is for 10" finished blocks, just lay out your squares in 9 rows of 7 blocks each, for a total of 63 blocks. If your tool is 10 inches, then your blocks will actually finish at 9.5 inches. Then you will need an extra row at the bottom, so a total of 70 blocks.

      Delete
  51. I've just come me across your tutorial by chance. I spend two-month periods away from home (and my stash!) and each visit I've brought some scraps with me, not knowing what to do with them as I'm not so fond of scrap quilts in a pattern. However you need to follow a method even with improvisational quilts and your instructions are simple and perfect! Luckily I have my own room, a sewing machine, threads, etc! I'm thinkinhg of adding the occasional square with a special motif or embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
  52. I love scrappy quilts and yours are really beautiful. Thanks so much for haring.

    ReplyDelete
  53. You have inspired me! Such a beautiful quilt! I'm trying to organize all my scraps like Just Get It Done Quilts suggests.... Way too much to go through. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  54. Love your tips to divide colours of fabric. Definitely will have to try this! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  55. Love this quilt! I just made a string quilt from scraps. It was @sew” much fun to do!

    ReplyDelete
  56. I’m new to Quilting And I saw a block somewhere about this improv/scrap quilting and I’ll love it. I’m also a crochet or so. I love mixing colors and with improv quilting you can do it and it does look so awesome when it’s finished I’m only seeing this better than 10 years after you posted it it’s still going around, I love it. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment and for visiting! I read and appreciate every single comment, and I reply to each one as soon as I can. If you don't hear back from me, you might be a no-reply blogger. :)

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips